The best bike pannier bag is the Ortlieb Back-Roller, which is able to hold an impressive 40 litres and is built to the highest of standards. If you require budget pannier bags, the Ibera PakRak is the best option.
Table of Contents
Bike Panniers Comparison
|Bike Pannier Bags||Capacity||Bag(s)|
|Ortlieb Back-Roller||40 Litres||1|
|Ibera PakRak||30 Litres||2|
|Vaude Bike Panniers||48 Litres||2|
|Docooler 3-in-1||35 Litres||3|
|Waterfly Waterproof||25 Litres||1|
|Basil Mara XL||35 Litres||2|
Although you could use a saddle bag to transport your belongings, pannier bags offer far more storage space, which is major requirement for those that commute to work on their bike.
Below is a list of the best pannier bags that can be fitted to all types of bikes and provide plenty of storage space.
The Best Pannier Bags
1. Ortlieb Back-Roller Pannier Bags
Ortlieb are a brand that specialize in premium bike pannier bags and have a great reputation around the globe. Although expensive, they are built to the highest of standards and even come with a 5 year warranty.
This particular pannier bag is the brand’s most popular and is known as the Back-Roller, which is made from a waterproof polyester fabric. It’s available in black, grey, red or yellow and is capable of holding up to 40 litres.
Other features of the Ortlieb Back-Roller include:
- Integrated inner pockets
- Holds up to 40 litres
- Black, grey, red and yellow designs
- 3M Scotchlite reflectors
- Can be combined with the Front-Roller bag
- Shoulder strap for wearing as a backpack
- 100% waterproof
- 32 x 17 x 42 cm in size
- Backed by a 5 year warranty
The Ortlieb Back-Roller is an expensive option but they are the best pannier bags on the market and a worthwhile investment. They have a high quality look and feel and are completely waterproof, which is a big factor for many cyclists.
Check it Out
2. Ibera Bicycle PakRak Pannier Bags
By far the most popular bike pannier bags in the UK are the Ibera PakRak panniers, which are compatible with most bicycle carriers. They also feature an intuitive quick-release system that simply clips on and releases in a matter of seconds and doesn’t even require any straps.
In order to maximize the available storage space (30 litres), the pannier bags have multiple compartments and drawstring pouches for any overflow.
Other features of the Ibera PakRak Bags include:
- Constructed of a 1680D nylon
- Intuitive quick-release system
- Supplied with a rain cover
- 15 litre capacity per bag
- Max load capacity of 9 KG
- Secure 3 point connection
- Reflective trim for visibility in dark conditions
- Backed by a one year warranty
The Ibera PakRak bike pannier bags are a relatively affordable option that’s built to a high standard and provides plenty of storage space. Although not completely waterproof, it does come with a rain cover for rainy days.
Check it Out
3. Vaude Waterproof Bike Panniers
For those worried about getting their contents wet inside of the bag, these pannier bags have welded waterproofing. This provides maximum waterproof performance and ensures yours belongings remain completely dry.
Other features of the Vaude Pannier Bag Set include:
- Maximum capacity of 24 litres per bag
- 37 x 33 x 19 cm in size
- Available in five different colours
- Constructed of a waterproof tarpaulin material
- Multiple storage pockets inside
- Shoulder strap for wearing
- PVC free construction
- Made in Germany
The Vaude bike pannier bags are a high quality set that provides excellent waterproofing qualities and plenty of storage space. It isn’t the cheapest set but you really do get what you pay for with regards to bike panniers.
Check it Out
4. Docooler 3-in-1 Bike Pannier Bags
One of the cheapest pannier bags that’s actually worth buying are the Docooler 3-in-1, which is suitable for electric, road and mountain bikes. It’s made from a water resistant canvas and is capable of holding up to 35 litres.
It comes as a three piece kit that includes two side bags and a main top bag that can also be used as a backpack.
Other features of the Docooler 3-in-1 Pannier include:
- 600D polyester construction
- Top bag is 30 x 13 x 35 cm in size
- Each side bag is 30 x 14 x 31 cm
- Maximum capacity of 35 litres
- Reflective graphics for night visibility
- High quality adjustable straps
- Suitable for most bikes
The Docooler 3-in-1 pannier bags are an excellent all-round option that won’t disappoint. They are well-built, affordable and provide plenty of storage space within three bags for all your belongings.
Check it Out
5. Waterfly Waterproof Bicycle Panniers
If you are fed up of your contents becoming soaked and struggling to find waterproof pannier bags, the Waterfly brand have the answer. Their bicycle panniers are completely waterproof and constructed of a durable 1000D polyster, which includes a PVC layers on both sides for superior waterproofing qualities.
It’s sold as a single bag, which has a large capacity of 25 litres and it can be easily removed and worn as a backpack.
Other features of the Waterfly Bicycle Panniers include:
- Available in black or orange
- Fully waterproof design
- Large 25 litre capacity
- Double hooks and buckle for installation
- Easily transforms to a backpack
- Roll up closure without zips
- Can be mounted to the left or right of the bike
The Waterfly waterproof bike panniers are a versatile and well-constructed option that won’t disappoint. Compared to similar designed bags, it offers great value for the money and ensures the contents remain dry regardless of the weather.
Check it Out
6. Basil Mara XL Double Pannier Bags
In terms of the storage capabilities, the pannier bags are able to store up to 35 litres and handle loads of 5 KG per bag.
Other features of the Basil Mara Bike Panniers include:
- Water-repellent polyester construction
- Buckled closure of the bags
- Total load capacity of 10 KG
- Double reflective strips for visibility
- Choice of three different styles
- 17 cm between each pannier
- 37 cm x 15 cm x 44 cm in size
The Basil Mara Bike Panniers are stylish bags that fit perfectly over standard racks and come with unique designs that look great. They also offer excellent value for money whilst retaining a good quality look and feel.
Check it Out
Pannier bags are the best way to commute with all your belongings and they are available in a wide range of designs. Most come as a set of two or three bags whereas others are a single bag with a large capacity and multiple pockets.
All of our recommendations are suitable for all budgets and can be installed to most bikes in a matter of minutes. If the pannier bags you choose aren’t waterproof, we strongly recommend investing into a rain cover for those rainy days.