Although you can use a smart thermostat for controlling the heating, a smart radiator valve allows you to operate the radiators separately. They are a great addition to any central heating system and allow you to have complete control.
The best smart radiator vales are the Netatmo TRV’s, which includes a wide range of intuitive features that automatically adjusts the temperature to maximize its efficiency.
Table of Contents
Smart Radiator Valve Comparison
|Smart Radiator Valves||Voice Commands|
|tado° Starter Kit V3||Yes|
It’s important to note that many of the radiators valves will require a smart system/controller and are not standalone. This allows them to connect to the internet, which allows them to be remotely controlled via the smartphone application.
Below is a list of the best smart radiator valves that are easy to install and can be controlled remotely to the temperature you desire.
The Best Smart Radiator Valves
1. Netatmo Smart Radiator Valve
Netatmo are a popular brand that produce a wide range of smart heating devices. Their radiator valves are a highly rated option that they claim will work with over 90 percent of radiators installed in UK homes.
Unlike some of the alternatives, the Netatmo application offers far more functionality. Features such as room-by-room scheduling, comfort or economy modes as well as energy usage tracking for each room of the house.
Other features of the Netatmo Radiator Valves include:
- Compatible with over 90% of radiators
- Box includes all the fixtures and fittings
- Energy class A++
- Room-by-room heating
- Open Window Detection to automatically adapt
- Energy use tracking
Another great bonus of these smart radiator valves are that they are compatible with the Apple HomeKit, Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant. This means you can use various voice commands to control the heating of each room.
The Netatmo smart radiator valves are one of the best options available that are packed full of functionality. They do come with a premium price tag and require the thermostat or valve starter kit but you won’t regret buying them.
Check it Out
2. Honeywell Home HR924UK Smart TRV
Honeywell are a highly reputable heating brands in the UK and their radiators valves offer many unique features. The standout feature is of course the display, which outputs the zone name, set temperature and other important data.
In terms of connecting the smart radiator valves to your heating system, you will require the EvoHome thermostat controller. This acts as the hub and also allows you to connect other devices to the system.
Other features of the Honeywell HR924UK TRV include:
- Easy to read backlit LCD display
- Display can be tiled for easy viewing
- Two year battery life
- Custom programmable modes
- Attractive design with a white finish
- Box includes adapters, brackets and batteries
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa, Google Home and IFTT
- Made in the UK
The smart radiator valves by Honeywell are a highly rated option that are easy to install and can be controlled anywhere with your smartphone or tablet. If you already have the EvoHome thermostat controller installed, they will be the most cost effective solution.
Check it Out
3. Drayton Wiser Smart Radiator Thermostat
A more affordable smart radiator valve is by the Drayton brand, which is designed to work alongside the Wiser smart heating system. Once setup, you can also connect the valves to other smart devices such as Alexa or Google Home.
The brand state that you are able to add up to 32 radiator valves in up to 16 different room using the application. This is far greater than many of the alternatives and may be required for large houses or businesses.
Other features of the Drayton Wiser TRV include:
- Simple screw on and off installation
- Works with 90% of existing valves
- Dedicated smartphone application for complete control
- Compatible with Google Home, Alexa and IFTT
- Room-by-room control
- Connectivity range of 24 to 40 feet
- Requires the Wiser smart heating system
The Drayton Wiser is an excellent all-round smart radiator valve that offers excellent value for the money. It does require the Wiser smart heating system but if you have it already installed, these smart TRV’s tick all the boxes.
4. tado° Smart Radiator Thermostat
The tado° smart radiator valve set is a complete out of the box solution that comes with two thermostats, adapter sets and internet bridge. Once setup, you are able to control the valves using the smartphone application or even voice commands using the Amazon Alexa, Google Home or Apple HomeKit.
Using these radiator valves, the brand claim that they will automatically cut your energy bill by up to 31%. This is made possible using smart features such as weather forecasts, phones location, open window detection and much more.
Other features of the tado° smart radiator valves include:
- Horizontal or vertical valves available
- Dedicated smartphone, tablet and PC application
- Energy saving optimised algorithms
- Compatible with the Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant and Apple HomeKit
- Box includes the TRV’s, adapter sets and internet bridge
- Easy energy tracking via the application
Overall, the tado° smart radiator valve set is a highly efficient option that includes a wide range of automatic features to maximize the savings. The brand also provide both vertical or horizontal valves to best suit the majority of radiator valves.
5. Hive Smart Heating Thermostatic TRV
Hive is one of the most popular smart heating systems in the UK and once you have completed the initial setup, additional devices take seconds to connect. Their smart radiator valves are designed to link up to the “Hub” and be controlled via the Hive smartphone application. However, you can also use these without requiring a Hive system.
Included within the box are the smart radiator valves, M30 valve adapters and two AA batteries.
Other features of the Hive Smart TRV include:
- Choose the exact temperature you require
- Easy to use dedicated Hive application
- Simple unscrew and screw on installation
- Doesn’t require the Hive active heating system
- Clear temperature reading from the digital display
- Desirable white finish to the TRV
If you already have a Hive active heating system installed, these smart radiator valves are the best option. They will allow you to control everything from the application without having to switch to another. However, if you use another smart system, the Hive valves are a premium option that don’t offer as much functionality when compared to others.
Check it Out
6. Vaillant VR 50 AmbiSENSE Radiator Valve
Valiant are a premium boiler manufacturer but they also produce many accessories for central heating systems. Their smart radiator valve is a premium option that uses their VRC 700 application, which can support up to 20 valves.
Using the application, you are able to assign each room with a dedicated profile. The benefit of this is that you can assign temperature schedules, which can be useful for rooms that are colder than others in the house.
Other features of the Vaillant VR 50 AmbiSENSE include:
- Adjust the temperature manually or by using the app
- Easy to read digital temperature display
- Desirable boost functionality
- Increase the temperature by 0.5°C increments
- Box includes the valve, adapter kit and manual
- Battery powered with no wires
Although expensive, these smart radiator valves by Vaillant will pay for themselves in the longer term. It’s important to note that you will need both the VRC 700 and VR 920 gateway to use these valves, which will be an extra expense if not already installed.
Check it Out
7. Eqiva Bluetooth Smart Radiator Valves
One of the cheapest smart radiator valves available are the Bluetooth controlled Eqiva set. They are a fraction of the cost when compared to some of the other brands but offer very similar functionality.
The brand have their own dedicated iOS and Android application that can support up to 5 TRV’s in a single room and manage up to 10 rooms.
Other features of the Eqiva Bluetooth Valves include:
- Dedicated smartphone application
- Clear digital display
- Two control buttons and temperature dial
- Weekly schedules for 7 switching times a day
- Controls up to 5 radiators per room
- Management of up to 10 rooms
Overall, they are cheap smart radiator vales that are easy to install and allow you to choose the exact temperature you require. Eqiva also offer non-Bluetooth valves with the great features but without the remote application control.
Check it Out
Smart radiator valves are an excellent addition to any smart heating system. They allow you to control the heating on a room-by-room basis, which allows you to become even more efficient.
All of our recommendations are suitable for a range of different budgets and manufactured by reputable brands in the UK. To ensure the installation goes smoothly, we advise that you stick to the same brands.
Another bonus of remaining with the same brand is that you can control all the radiators without having to switch between applications on your smartphone or tablet.