The use of smart technology within UK homes is becoming increasingly more popular with a smart thermostat being a great example. They provide added convenience and make it far easier for you to become more energy efficient.
The best smart thermostat is the Hive Kit, which includes multiple automatic energy saving modes and a stylish design.
Apart from being able to adjust the temperature, there are also many other smart features. These include daily scheduling, automatic frost protection, holiday modes, integration with other smart devices and so much more.
Table of Contents
- The Best Smart Thermostat
Smart Thermostat Comparison
|Hive Active Heating||Wall Mounted or Portable|
|Google Nest 3rd Gen||Wall Mounted|
|Netatmo NTH01-EN-EC||Wall Mounted or Portable|
|Honeywell T6R||Wall Mounted|
|tado° Starter Kit V3||Wall Mounted or Portable|
|Drayton Wiser Multi-Zone||Wall Mounted or Portable|
|Warmup WU4IE||Wall Mounted|
Although smart thermostats rely on a reliable internet connection and come with a premium price, they are a worthwhile investment. In the long run, the automatic modes and scheduling will help you be more efficient and save you money.
Below is a list of the best smart thermostats available in the UK that can be controlled via smartphone applications.
The Best Smart Thermostat
1. Hive Active Heating and Hot Water Thermostat
The Hive smart thermostat is by far one of the most attractive and user friendly options available. Using their dedicated and award winning smartphone application, you can set the heating to come on within six time slots each day.
In terms of the installation of Hive, you will need a hub and receiver if you haven’t already got one. However, once the hub has been setup, you can then begin to add other accessories such as smart plugs.
Other features of the Hive Active Heating and Hot Water include:
- Set schedules for each day of the week
- Six time slots per day
- Heating boost for up to six hours
- Automatic frost protection and “Holiday” mode
- Intuitive and attractive thermostat
- PIN lock that avoids tampering
- Award winning smartphone and tablet application
- Battery powered thermostat
It’s one of the best smart thermostats in the UK for the money that is easy to setup and use with the brands excellent application. We have installed the Hive thermostat ourselves and use it for controlling both underfloor heating and the radiators. We have zero complaints and it’s transformed the way in which we schedule the heating.
Check it Out
2. Nest Learning 3rd Gen Smart Thermostat
Just as popular as the Hive alternative is the 3rd generation Google Nest thermostat. It’s the most expensive within this article but offers further functionality and is able to control up to 20 thermostats per home.
The brand state that this smart thermostat is compatible with the majority of heating systems, which include gas, oil and condensing boilers as well as underfloor heating and heat pumps.
Other features of the Google Nest Third Gen include:
- Remote control from anywhere on your mobile, tablet or laptop
- Auto-scheduling and auto-away
- Advanced modulation using OpenTherm technology
- Compatible with the majority of heating appliances
- Can be installed by yourself
- Geo-location and built-in sensors to avoid heating an empty home
Included with the complete package is the display, base, heat link, trim plate, mounting screws and the installation guide.
If you can afford the additional upfront cost of the Google Nest, it’s an excellent smart thermostat that won’t disappoint. Compared to the previous generations, it’s far more superior with a slimmer and sleeker design but with a bigger display.
Check it Out
3. Netatmo NTH01-EN-EC Smart Thermostat
The Netatmo NTH01-EN-EC is an affordable option that can be activated by voice commands or using the dedicated smartphone application. Depending upon your preference, you can mount it to a wall or keep it nearby using a stand.
A distinctive feature of the Netatmo smart thermostat is its unique design, which is simplistic and can be personalized using the included adhesive coloured strips.
Other features of the Netatmo NTH01-EN-EC include:
- Compatible with the Alexa, Google Assistant and Apple HomeKit
- Brand states that it takes less than an hour to install
- Absent and frost protection modes
- Compatible with most types of boilers
- Simplistic design with four coloured stripes
The complete kit includes the thermostat, stand, relay, adapters, mounting plates, USB cable, coloured adhesives and three AAA batteries. The brand also offer a wide range of other products that can also be controlled from the same application as the smart thermostat.
Although the design may not be as fancy as the premium alternatives above, it’s still stylish and practical.
Check it Out
4. Honeywell Home T6R Smart Thermostat
Another affordable option is the Honeywell T6R model, which uses a simple touchscreen interface to control the heating. As with many of the alternatives, it also works with the Alexa, Apple HomeKit and Google Assistant.
Installation of this smart thermostat is also very straightforward. Simply download the application, which will then provide you with clear instructions and allow you to connect to the receiver box with ease.
Other features of the Honeywell Home T6R include:
- Easy to use touchscreen display
- Location based temperature control
- Dedicated application
- Compatible with Alexa, Google Home and Apple HomeKit
- Mains power supply
For those that like the Hive design but not the price, this smart thermostat is the closest alternative. It combines an attractive design, value for money and a wide range of functionality into a single affordable package.
Check it Out
5. tado° Smart Thermostat Starter Kit V3
The tado° brand produce a wide range of smart home appliances and this is their latest thermostat available. Unlike previous models, the third generation uses optimized algorithms to provide more savings along with seamless integration with other appliances.
Included in the box is the thermostat, internet bridge, mounting hardware, installation guide and accessories.
Other features of the tado° Smart Thermostat include:
- Compatible with 95% of heating systems
- Uses the phones location and weather forecast to tailor the energy usage
- Works with the Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit and Google Assistant
- Multi-room control and smart scheduling
- Open window detection
- Box includes everything you require
The brand state that by using their smart thermostat, you can instantly cut your energy bill by up to 31%, which is a big claim. Overall, it’s an excellent all-round option that provides plenty of functionality and is relatively affordable.
Check it Out
6. Drayton Wiser Multi-Zone Smart Thermostat
Drayton produce a wide range of kits that are suitable for controlling various heating appliances throughout your home. Their smart thermostat known as the Wiser model enables you to control the heating via the application and have access to various smart modes.
The brand states that its connectivity range is between 25 to 40 feet, which for large homes may be an issues. However, there is an optional extender available to increase the range.
Other features of the Drayton Wiser Thermostat include:
- Eco, away and comfort modes
- Easily control radiator thermostats room-by-room
- Controls up to 16 rooms, 32 radiators and 10 smart plugs
- Integrates with Alexa, Google Assistant and IFTT
- Fits to a standard UK back plate
The ability to add further devices to the system is another desirable feature, which can all be controlled via the app.
Overall, the Drayton Wiser Smart Thermostat is a highly rated option that comes with many optional extras for maximum control of your heating. It’s also worth noting that this system is specific for either a combination or conventional system.
Check it Out
7. Warm-UP 4IE Smart WiFi Thermostat
The Warm-UP smart thermostat is one of the cheapest but still includes all the functionality you will require. It’s a programmable thermostat that is designed for underfloor heating and comes with its own smartphone application.
Other features of the Warm-UP Thermostat include:
- Easy to use application for phone or tablet
- Intuitive and clear display
- Includes a three year guarantee
- IP33 and insulation class 11 rated
- Easily integrates with Google Home and Amazon Alexa
If you want a cheap smart thermostat for controlling your underfloor heating, the Warm-UP is an excellent option. It’s easy to setup and a great upgrade when compared to the previous 3IE model, which was very popular in the UK.
Check it Out
Investing into a smart thermostat can be an expensive purchase but one that you won’t regret. It offers convenience and improves your energy efficiency, which in the long run will save you money.
All of our recommendations are suited to a range of budgets and include many different desirable features. We highly advise that you ensure your Wi-Fi is fully functioning before purchasing one because they rely on a solid connection.